An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
"Starr King" (Clipper)
The medium clipper ship "Starr King" was built by George W. Jackman at Newburyport, Massachusetts in 1854 for Bates & Thaxter and Baker & Morrill of Boston. She was named for the popular preacher Thomas Starr King, who was active in Boston and later in San Francisco. Her voyages took her to the American west coast and the Far East, making a mixed record of fast passages as well as disappointing ones. She went ashore en route to Singapore, becoming a total loss.
– Erik Ronnberg
Octavius T. Howe, and Frederic C. Matthews, American Clipper Ships: 1833–1858 (Salem: Marine Research Society, 1927), 633–35.