An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
Low, Capt. Frederick Gilman
Captain Frederick Gilman Low (1789–1878) was a sea merchant and privateer during the War of 1812. He once owned the land on which Lane built his house and studio in 1849. Following Lane's death in 1865, Low purchased the artist's granite house and studio on Duncan's Point, rented it for a while and then lived in it until his own death several years later. His son was Colonel David W. Low (1833–1919).
44 x 34 in.
Henry Francis Walling, Map of the Towns of Gloucester and Rockport, Essex Co. Massachusetts. Philadelphia, A. Kollner, 1851
Cape Ann Museum Library & Archive
"Map of the Towns of Gloucester and Rockport, Massachusetts. H.F. Walling, Civil Engineer. John Hanson, Publisher. 1851. Population of Gloucester in 1850 7,805. Population of Rockport in 1850 3,213."
24 x 38 in.
Gloucester City Archives
"Drawn on a scale of one hundred feet to an inch. By John Mason 1834–45 from Actual Survey showing every Lott and building then standing on them giving the actual size of the buildings and width of the streets from the Canal to the head of the Harbour & part of Eastern point as farr as Smith's Cove and the Shore of the same with all the wharfs then in use. Gloucester Harbor 1834–35."
This map shows the location of F. E. Low's wharf and the ropewalk. Duncan's Point, the site where Lane would eventually build his studio, is also marked.
The later notes on the map are believed to be by Mason.