An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
Historical Materials: New York City Locales, Businesses, & Buildings
Castle Garden is a circular sandstone fort on an artificial island in Battery Park, on the south end of Manhattan. It was built in 1811 as a military fort during the tensions leading up to the War of 1812. First called Southwest Battery it was renamed Castle Clinton in 1817. In 1821 the United States Army stopped using the fort and it was leased to New York City as a venue for popular entertainment and opened as Castle Garden in 1824. Eventually it was roofed over and served as a beer garden, theater, and exhibition hall. On August 1, 1855, Castle Clinton became the Emigrant Landing Depot, functioning as an immigrant processing facility until 1890 when it was replaced by Ellis Island.
35 x 25 cm. on sheet 48 x 30 cm.
Published by Magnus & Co.
New York Public Library
Covers Manhattan up to 34th Street on the west side and 51st Street on the east side. Includes views of New York City and Harbor, and Trinity Church above the upper neat line. Also includes list of churches, hotels, and places of amusement.