An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
Historical Materials: Gloucester Buildings & Businesses
John Trask Paint Store
Lane's painting of the Burnham Brothers marine railways was hung as a sign outside Trask's paint store, and served as an advertisement for Trask's paint and for the railway's services. An advertisement in the [Gloucester] Telegraph and News, September 11, 1858: "John Trask / Paint Store / for ship paints / pure verdigris / English & American Green / Lead and Zinc paints / Varnish, Oil, Gloss, & Putty / Burnham & Bro's Railway / Commercial Wharf/Ship Work."
Buck and Dunlap (p. 33 n. 119)
From bound volume owned by publisher Francis Procter
Collection of Fred and Stephanie Buck
“PRETTY SIGN. – If our readers wish to see something pretty, let them walk down to Burnham Bros. Railway, and take a peep at the new sign recently hung out over the paint shop of Mr. John Trask. It is a painting on canvass 4 1-2 feet by 5, executed by Fitz H. Lane, Esq., representing a view of Burnham Bros. Railways, the wharf and stores adjoining. The front view represents the ‘way’s’ with a ship and schooner receiving a coat of paint. The workshop and counting-room of Burnham Bros., and the buildings of Mr. Joseph Shepherd, together with the old Parrot and Caswell houses are plainly visible. In the background a partial view of the residence of Capt. F. Norwood, on Spring street, the Universalist Church, on Elm St., Capt. Isaac Somes’ residence on Pleasant St., and several other buildings on Prospect St. The view was taken from Rocky Neck and makes a very pretty picture.”