An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
Historical Materials: Boston Locales, Businesses, & Buildings
Long Wharf was built in the eighteenth century from the shore of Town Cove, one thousand feet into the harbor. Eventually it was joined by Central Wharf and a new Custom House was built between the two in the 1830s. In the 1850s the State Street Block was built on more of the dock. In 1808 to the south of Long Wharf, India Wharf was incorporated as part of the development of Town Cove. The wharf was designed by Charles Bulfinch. Construction was difficult and foundation stones had to be placed by men working in wooden diving bells. (1)
(1) W.H. Bunting. Portrait of a Port, Boston: 1852-1914. Cambridge: Harvard University Belknap Press, 1971, p. 48.