Search this catalogue

Historical Materials: Flags, Lighthouses, & Navigation Aids

Historical Materials  »  Flags, Lighthouses, & Navigation Aids  »  Gloucester, Mass. – Ten Pound Island Light

You have navigated to this pages from catalog entry: The Old Fort and Ten Pound Island, Gloucester, 1850s (inv. 30)

Gloucester, Mass. – Ten Pound Island Light

View related Fitz Henry Lane catalog entries (27) »

The Ten Pound Island light was built on a three-and-a-half acre island at the eastern end of Gloucester Harbor. Built as a conical stone tower, the original 20-foot-tall Ten Pound Island Light was first lit in October, 1821 after the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Town of Gloucester ceded 1.7 acres to the U.S. Government for the construction of an inner harbor lighthouse to help mariners navigate the harbor. Ten Pound Island light was a popular subject with artists, including Winslow Homer, who boarded with the lighthouse keeper at Ten Pound Island in the summer of 1880. It is frequently featured in Lane's paintings of Gloucester Harbor.

This information has been shared with the Lane project by Jeremy D'Entremont. More information can be found at his website, or in The Lighthouse Handbook New England. This information has also been summarized from Paul St. Germain's book, Lighthouses and Lifesaving Stations on Cape Ann.

Related tables: Ten Pound Island »

1830 Mason Map
John Mason
Series Maps. v. 13: p. 17
SC1 / series 48X
Massachusetts Archives, Boston
Engraving of the first Ten Pound Island lighthouse
History of Ten Pound Island Light, Gloucester, Mass.
© Jeremy D'Entremont
photo (historical)
Postcard of Harbor View and Ten Pound Island
Colored lithograph
Cape Ann Museum Library and Archive

Also filed under: Ten Pound Island »

photo (historical)
Ten Pound Island Lighthouse
Stebbins, N.L. Publisher

From The Illustrated Coast Pilot with Sailing Directions. The Coast of New England from New York to Eastport, Maine including Bays and Harbors, N. L. Stebbins, 1891.

Also filed under: Ten Pound Island »

photo (historical)
The first Ten Pound Island Lighthouse
U.S. Coast Guard
Photography courtesy of :

The photo shows the first lighthouse constructed in 1821.

View of the Old Fort and Harbor 1837
Fitz Henry Lane, attr.
In John J. Babson, History of the Town Gloucester (Gloucester, MA: Procter Brothers, 1860)
Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Gloucester, Mass.

See p. 474.

Citation: "Flags, Lighthouses, & Navigation Aids." Fitz Henry Lane Online. Cape Ann Museum.§ion=Gloucester%2C+Mass.+%E2%80%93+Ten+Pound+Island+Light&ref=catalog:30 (accessed March 23, 2018).
Please note that the information on this and all pages is periodically reviewed and subject to change.
Please share your knowledge with us: click here to leave feedback.