An online project under the direction of the CAPE ANN MUSEUM
Historical Materials » » Mount Desert, Maine – Mount Desert Rock Light
Mount Desert, Maine – Mount Desert Rock Light
The Mount Desert Rock Light is located in the Atlantic Ocean about 20 miles south of Mount Desert Island at the entrance to the Frenchman and Blue Hill Bays. On March 2, 1829, Congress gave $5,000 for the construction of a lighthouse on Mount Desert Rock; it was officially lit on August 25, 1830. The first Mount Desert Rock Light was a modest, wooden structure; regardless, it survived many storms before being replaced by a more substantial 58-foot granite tower in 1847. The Mount Desert Rock Light was further altered in 1858 when a new lantern and a third-order Fresnel lens were installed.
This information has been shared with the Lane project by Jeremy D'Entremont. More information can be found at his website, www.newenglandlighthouses.net and in The Lighthouse Handbook New England.